Issue No. 01 - January-March (2007 vol. 29)
DOI Bookmark: http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MAHC.2007.5
Jack Minker , University of Maryland at College Park
The use of and first courses on computers at Maryland began in the 1940s. The Computer Science Center beginnings are examined in the context of founding director Werner C. Rheinboldt's noteworthy accomplishments to develop a computation facility with research and educational components, supported by John Menard, assistant director. William F. Atchison, who replaced Rheinboldt as Center director, continued these accomplishments.
formation of CS Center, first CS director, first CS courses, ACM Curriculum '68, federal grants, planning a CS building, graduate/undergraduate education programs, research, software developments, loss of computer autonomy
J. Minker, "Forming a Computer Science Center at the University of Maryland," in IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, vol. 29, no. , pp. 49-64, 2007.