Issue No. 03 - July-September (1982 vol. 4)
<p>Bell Laboratories digital computers were used during World War II principally in the design and testing of electrical analog gun directors. These computers evolved from the pioneer work of George R. Stibitz (in the period from 1937 to 1940), who designed and put to work at Bell Laboratories the first electromechanical digital computer.</p>
J. Emling, W. Higgins and B. Holbrook, "Electrical Computers for Fire Control," in IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, vol. 4, no. , pp. 218-244, 1982.