Policies & Procedures Manual and Operations Handbooks
Updated February 2016
SECTION 18 PLANNING COMMITTEE
18.1 PLANNING COMMITTEE
The Planning Committee shall be responsible for proposing strategic direction for the Society. The Planning Committee shall propose strategic goals, measurable objectives, and measurable outcomes. The Planning Committee shall provide an annual report to the Board of Governors evaluating progress toward strategic goals and recommending appropriate changes to goals, objectives, outcomes, and measurements.
The president-elect shall chair the Planning Committee. The chief staff executive shall be an ex officio, non-voting member of this committee. Additional ex officio, voting, members shall include the president, past president, first vice president, second vice president, treasurer, secretary, and chairs of each program board. Additional members of the executive staff and representatives of relevant program boards and committees may be appointed by the chair as non-voting members.
18.3 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Planning Committee shall:
1. Assist leadership in formulating, advancing, and communicating a vision for the future to IEEE and IEEE Computer Society membership.
2. Establish strategic priorities.
3. Maintain the IEEE Computer Society strategic planning process.
4. Identify measurable objectives and measurable outcomes and evaluate them annually.
5. Identify activities for meeting objectives and seek direction by the Board of Governors, as necessary, regarding the activities.
6. Review the strategic plan on a continual basis and provide recommendations to the Board of Governors for modifications on an annual basis.
7. Provide feedback and counsel to program boards, committees, and operations with respect to each groups' priorities and goals.
8. Work with the Finance Committee to ensure a rational linkage between strategic priorities and financial planning and budgeting.
9. Review all Computer Society Products and Services no less frequently than every three years; and, make a recommendation to the affected Program Board Vice President, the President and the Board of Governors to continue or discontinue the reviewed Products and/or Services.
18.3.1 Planning Committee Handbook
The Planning Committee shall create and maintain a Strategic Planning Handbook that sets forth detailed procedures for the Society's strategic planning process. This manual will be the primary means of ensuring consistency and continuity in the planning process. The Planning Committee may modify its procedures without Board of Governors approval provided that its procedures are consistent with these policies and procedures and with applicable policies and procedures of the IEEE. The Planning Committee Chair is responsible for seeing that a copy of the current handbook is made available to each member of the Planning Committee and the Board of Governors at the beginning of each calendar year.