IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG) is a monthly journal that publishes research on subjects related to computer graphics and visualization techniques, systems, software, hardware, and user interface issues. Read the full scope of TVCG.
From the September 2015 issue
Learning Visualizations by Analogy: Promoting Visual Literacy through Visualization Morphing
By Puripant Ruchikachorn and Klaus Mueller
We propose the concept of teaching (and learning) unfamiliar visualizations by analogy, that is, demonstrating an unfamiliar visualization method by linking it to another more familiar one, where the in-betweens are designed to bridge the gap of these two visualizations and explain the difference in a gradual manner. As opposed to a textual description, our morphing explains an unfamiliar visualization through purely visual means. We demonstrate our idea by ways of four visualization pair examples: data table and parallel coordinates, scatterplot matrix and hyperbox, linear chart and spiral chart, and hierarchical pie chart and treemap. The analogy is commutative i.e. any member of the pair can be the unfamiliar visualization. A series of studies showed that this new paradigm can be an effective teaching tool. The participants could understand the unfamiliar visualization methods in all of the four pairs either fully or at least significantly better after they observed or interacted with the transitions from the familiar counterpart. The four examples suggest how helpful visualization pairings be identified and they will hopefully inspire other visualization morphings and associated transition strategies to be identified.
Editorials and Announcements
- IEEE TVCG Invited Sessions at SIGGRAPH 2015 in Los Angeles on Sunday August 9, 2015
- Dr. Leila De Floriani Announced as New Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- TVCG celebrates its 20th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Ming Lin says, "Celebrating 20 years of success in publishing as the world's leading journal in visualization and computer graphics, TVCG has continued to present many of the most impactful research results and state-of-the-art seminal papers, enabling rapid dissemination of important work and contributing to the growth of the field. Congratulations!"
- TVCG Partners With Conferences
- Editor's Note (September 2015)
- Editor's Note (May 2015)
- Message from the Editor-in-Chief (April 2015)
- Editor's Note (February 2015)
- A Message from the New Editor-In-Chief (January 2015)
- EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (January 2015)
- Editor's Note (August 2014)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Message fron the Editor-in-Chief (December 2013)
- Special Section on the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium 2014 (August 2015)
- I3D 2014 Guest Editor's Introduction (June 2015)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2013 (April 2015)
- Message from the Program Chairs and Guest Editors (April 2015)
- Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) (October 2014)
- Special Section on the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (August 2014)
- Special Issue on the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games 2013 (July 2014)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2012 (June 2014)
- Special Section on the ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA) (January 2014)
- Special Section on the Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization (EGPGV) (June 2012)
Access recently published TVCG articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TVCG content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
TVCG is indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI