Transactions on Software Engineering
The IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) is an archival journal published bimonthly. We are interested in well-defined theoretical results and empirical studies that have potential impact on the construction, analysis, or management of software. Read the full scope of TSE
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2013 issues!
From the February 2015 Issue
How Software Designers Interact with Sketches at the Whiteboard
By Nicolas Mangano, Thomas D. LaToza, Marian Petre, and André van der Hoek
Whiteboard sketches play a crucial role in software development, helping to support groups of designers in reasoning about a software design problem at hand. However, little is known about these sketches and how they support design ‘in the moment’, particularly in terms of the relationships among sketches, visual syntactic elements within sketches, and reasoning activities. To address this gap, we analyzed 14 hours of design activity by eight pairs of professional software designers, manually coding over 4000 events capturing the introduction of visual syntactic elements into sketches, focus transitions between sketches, and reasoning activities. Our findings indicate that sketches serve as a rich medium for supporting design conversations. Designers often use general-purpose notations. Designers introduce new syntactic elements to record aspects of the design, or re-purpose sketches as the design develops. Designers constantly shift focus between sketches, using groups of sketches together that contain complementary information. Finally, sketches play an important role in supporting several types of reasoning activities (mental simulation, review of progress, consideration of alternatives). But these activities often leave no trace and rarely lead to sketch creation. We discuss the implications of these and other findings for the practice of software design at the whiteboard and for the creation of new electronic software design sketching tools.
Editorials and Announcements
- EICs Undergoing Reappointment for 2016-2017 Terms: IEEE Computer Society publications have editors in chief who are currently standing for reappointment to a second two-year term. The Publications Board invites comments upon the tenures of the individual editors. Please click here for more details.
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TSE has an impact factor of 2.292.
- TSE celebrates its 40th Anniversary
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan 2015)
- In Memoriam: Mary Jean Harrold (1947-2013) (Nov 2013)
- Editorial (Sept 2013)
- In Memoriam—David Notkin (1953-2013) (June 2013)
- Editorial (May 2013)
- E-ditorial: State of the Journal (Feb 2013)
- State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Editorial: What Makes a Publication Archival? (March/April 2011)
- Editorial: State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2011)
- Editorial (Nov/Dec 2010)
- How Special Should Issues Be? (Jul/Aug 2010)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (March/April 2012)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Software Engineering (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Special Section on Socio-Technical Environment of Software Development Projects (May/June 2011)
- Search Based Software Engineering: Introduction to the Special Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (Nov/Dec 2010)
- 2008 Conference on the Foundations of Software Engineering (Sept/Oct 2010)
- The Best Papers of ISSTA (Jul/Aug 2010)
Access All Recently Published TSE Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSE content added to the digital library
Sign up to receive email alerts when a new issue of TSE is online.