Transactions on Software Engineering
The IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) is an archival journal published bimonthly. We are interested in well-defined theoretical results and empirical studies that have potential impact on the construction, analysis, or management of software. Read the full scope of TSE
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2013 issues!
From the August 2015 Issue
The Effect of GoF Design Patterns on Stability: A Case Study
By Apostolos Ampatzoglou, Alexander Chatzigeorgiou, Sofia Charalampidou, Paris Avgeriou
Stability refers to a software system's resistance to the “ripple effect”, i.e., propagation of changes. In this paper, we investigate the stability of classes that participate in instances/occurrences of GoF design patterns. We examine whether the stability of such classes is affected by (a) the pattern type, (b) the role that the class plays in the pattern, (c) the number of pattern occurrences in which the class participates, and (d) the application domain. To this end, we conducted a case study on about 65.000 Java open-source classes, where we performed change impact analysis on classes that participate in zero, one (single pattern), or more than one (coupled) pattern occurrences. The results suggest that, the application of design patterns can provide the expected “shielding” of certain pattern-participating classes against changes, depending on their role in the pattern. Moreover, classes that participate in coupled pattern occurrences appear to be the least stable. The results can be used for assessing the benefits and liabilities of the use of patterns and for testing and refactoring prioritization, because less stable classes are expected to require more effort while testing, and urge for refactoring activities that would make them more resistant to change propagation.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TSE has an impact factor of 2.292.
- TSE celebrates its 40th Anniversary
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan 2015)
- In Memoriam: Mary Jean Harrold (1947-2013) (Nov 2013)
- Editorial (Sept 2013)
- In Memoriam—David Notkin (1953-2013) (June 2013)
- Editorial (May 2013)
- E-ditorial: State of the Journal (Feb 2013)
- State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Editorial: What Makes a Publication Archival? (March/April 2011)
- Editorial: State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2011)
- Editorial (Nov/Dec 2010)
- How Special Should Issues Be? (Jul/Aug 2010)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (March/April 2012)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Software Engineering (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Special Section on Socio-Technical Environment of Software Development Projects (May/June 2011)
- Search Based Software Engineering: Introduction to the Special Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (Nov/Dec 2010)
- 2008 Conference on the Foundations of Software Engineering (Sept/Oct 2010)
- The Best Papers of ISSTA (Jul/Aug 2010)
Access All Recently Published TSE Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSE content added to the digital library
Sign up to receive email alerts when a new issue of TSE is online.