Transactions on Software Engineering
The IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) is an archival journal published bimonthly. We are interested in well-defined theoretical results and empirical studies that have potential impact on the construction, analysis, or management of software. Read the full scope of TSE
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2013 issues!
From the September 2015 Issue
Practical Combinatorial Interaction Testing: Empirical Findings on Efficiency and Early Fault Detection
By Justyna Petke, Myra B. Cohen, Mark Harman, and Shin Yoo
Combinatorial interaction testing (CIT) is important because it tests the interactions between the many features and parameters that make up the configuration space of software systems. Simulated Annealing (SA) and Greedy Algorithms have been widely used to find CIT test suites. From the literature, there is a widely-held belief that SA is slower, but produces more effective tests suites than Greedy and that SA cannot scale to higher strength coverage. We evaluated both algorithms on seven real-world subjects for the well-studied two-way up to the rarely-studied six-way interaction strengths. Our findings present evidence to challenge this current orthodoxy: real-world constraints allow SA to achieve higher strengths. Furthermore, there was no evidence that Greedy was less effective (in terms of time to fault revelation) compared to SA; the results for the greedy algorithm are actually slightly superior. However, the results are critically dependent on the approach adopted to constraint handling. Moreover, we have also evaluated a genetic algorithm for constrained CIT test suite generation. This is the first time strengths higher than 3 and constraint handling have been used to evaluate GA. Our results show that GA is competitive only for pairwise testing for subjects with a small number of constraints.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TSE has an impact factor of 2.292.
- TSE celebrates its 40th Anniversary
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- State of the Journal Editorial (Jan 2015)
- In Memoriam: Mary Jean Harrold (1947-2013) (Nov 2013)
- Editorial (Sept 2013)
- In Memoriam—David Notkin (1953-2013) (June 2013)
- Editorial (May 2013)
- E-ditorial: State of the Journal (Feb 2013)
- State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Editorial: What Makes a Publication Archival? (March/April 2011)
- Editorial: State of the Journal (Jan/Feb 2011)
- Editorial (Nov/Dec 2010)
- How Special Should Issues Be? (Jul/Aug 2010)
- Special Section on the International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (March/April 2012)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Software Engineering (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Special Section on Socio-Technical Environment of Software Development Projects (May/June 2011)
- Search Based Software Engineering: Introduction to the Special Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (Nov/Dec 2010)
- 2008 Conference on the Foundations of Software Engineering (Sept/Oct 2010)
- The Best Papers of ISSTA (Jul/Aug 2010)
Access All Recently Published TSE Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSE content added to the digital library
Sign up to receive email alerts when a new issue of TSE is online.