IEEE Transactions on Services Computing
IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC) is a journal that focuses on research on the algorithmic, mathematical, statistical and computational methods that are central in services computing; the emerging field of Service Oriented Architecture, Web Services, Business Process Integration, Solution Performance Management, Services Operations and Management. Read more about TSC
From the July/August 2015 issue
Network Aware Scheduling for Virtual Machine Workloads with Interference Models
By Sam Verboven, Kurt Vanmechelen, and Jan Broeckhove
Modern data centers use virtualization as a means to increase utilization of increasingly powerful multi-core servers. Applications often require only a fraction of the resources provided by modern hardware. Multiple concurrent workloads are therefore required to achieve adequate utilization levels. Current virtualization solutions allow hardware to be partitioned into Virtual Machines with appropriate isolation on most levels. However, unmanaged consolidation of resource intensive workloads can still lead to unexpected performance variance. Measures are required to avoid or reduce performance interference and provide predictable service levels for all applications. In this paper, we identify and reduce network-related interference effects using performance models based on the runtime characteristics of virtualized workloads. We increase the applicability of existing training data by adding network-related performance metrics and benchmarks. Using the extended set of training data, we predict performance degradation with existing modeling techniques as well as combinations thereof. Application clustering is used to identify several new network-related application types with clearly defined performance profiles. Finally, we validate the added value of the improved models by introducing new scheduling techniques and comparing them to previous efforts. We demonstrate how the inclusion of network-related parameters in performance models can significantly increase the performance of consolidated workloads.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Congrats to TSC's Editor-in-Chief, Ling Liu, on winning the 2012 IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award!
- TSC celebrates its 5th anniversary
- Emerging Web Services (May-June 2015)
- Editorial: Service Computing in 2015 (Jan-Feb 2015)
- Editorial: Service Computing in the Next Seven Years (Oct-Dec 2014)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editor-in-Chief (Apr-June 2013)
- Introduction of new Associate Editors (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: A message from the new Editor-in-Chief (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: Farewell and Introduction to the New Editor-in-Chief (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: Moving to the Fifth Year of TSC (Jan-Mar 2012)
- Guest Editorial: Recommendation Techniques for Services Computing and Cloud Computing (May-June 2015)
- Guest Editorial: Special Issue on Clouds for Social Computing (July-Sept 2014)
- Guest Editorial: Special Section on Social and Economic Computing (Apr-June 2013)
- Guest Editorial: Special Issue on Cloud Computing (Oct-Dec 2012)
- Guest Editorial: Special Section on Enforcement and Management in Services Computing (Apr-Jun 2012)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Services and Software Engineering towards Internetware (PDF)
Submission Deadline: October 1, 2015.
- Special Issue on Software Engineering and Applications for Cloud-based Mobile Systems (PDF)
Submission Deadline: November 1, 2015.
- Special Issue Virtualization and Services for Cloud-Based Application Systems (PDF)
Submission Deadline: December 1, 2015.
- Special Issue on Mobile Big Data Management and Innovative Applications (PDF)
Submission Deadline: December 31, 2015.
Access Recently Published TSC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection Newsletter.