IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model.
From the July 2015 Issue
Design of a Multithreaded Barnes-Hut Algorithm for Multicore Clusters
By Junchao Zhang, Babak Behzad, and Marc Snir
We describe in this paper an implementation of the Barnes-Hut algorithm on multicore clusters. Based on a partitioned global address space (PGAS) library, the design integrates intranode multithreading and internode one-sided communication, exemplifying a PGAS $+$ X programming style. Within a node, the computation is decomposed into tasks (subtasks) and multitasking is used to hide network latency. We study the tradeoffs between locality in private caches and locality in shared caches and bring the insights into the design. As a result, our implementation consumes less memory per core, invokes less internode communication, and enjoys better load-balancing strategies. The final code achieves up to 41 percent performance improvement over a non-multithreaded counterpart. Through detailed comparison, we also show its advantages over other well-known Barnes-Hut implementations, both in programming complexity and in performance.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 2.173.
- TPDS celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief David A. Bader says, "Congratulations to TPDS on its Silver Jubilee! For 25 years, TPDS has been the parallel and distributed computing community's flagship journal for research breakthroughs!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Editor's Note (Jan 2015)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note (Nov 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (April 2012)
- Editor's Note (January 2012)
- Editorial: Media Center (November 2011)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
- Special Issue on Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) (Sept 2012)
- Special Section on Many-Task Computing (June 2011)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPDS content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus Podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TPDS is indexed in ISI