IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model.
From the February 2015 Issue
On-Chip Active Messages for Speed, Scalability, and Efficiency
By R. Harting, William Dally
This paper describes and quantifies the benefits of adding low-overhead active messages to many-core, cache-coherent chip-multiprocessors. The active messages we analyze are user defined and trigger the atomic execution of a custom software handler at the destination. Programmers can use these active messages to both move data with less overhead than cache coherency and, more importantly, explicitly send computation to data. Doing so greatly improves (11$\times$ speed, 4.8 $\times$ energy) communication idioms such as shared object modification, reductions, data walks, point-to-point communication, and all-to-all communication. Active messages enhance program scalability: applications using them run 63 percent faster with 11 percent less energy on 256 cores. The relative benefits of active messages grow with larger numbers of cores.
Editorials and Announcements
- EICs Undergoing Reappointment for 2016-2017 Terms: IEEE Computer Society publications have editors in chief who are currently standing for reappointment to a second two-year term. The Publications Board invites comments upon the tenures of the individual editors. Please click here for more details.
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 2.173.
- TPDS celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief David A. Bader says, "Congratulations to TPDS on its Silver Jubilee! For 25 years, TPDS has been the parallel and distributed computing community's flagship journal for research breakthroughs!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- Editor's Note (Jan 2015)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note (Nov 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (April 2012)
- Editor's Note (January 2012)
- Editorial: Media Center (November 2011)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
- Special Issue on Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) (Sept 2012)
- Special Section on Many-Task Computing (June 2011)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPDS content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus Podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TPDS is indexed in ISI