IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model.
From the December 2015 Issue
Scalable Multicore k-NN Search via Subspace Clustering for Filtering
By Mian Lu, Yun Liang, Huynh Phung Huynh, Zhongliang Ong, Bingsheng He, and Rick Siow Mong Goh
$k$ Nearest Neighbors ($k$ -NN) search is a widely used category of algorithms with applications in domains such as computer vision and machine learning. Despite the desire to process increasing amounts of high-dimensional data within these domains, $k$ -NN algorithms scale poorly on multicore systems because they hit a memory wall. In this paper, we propose a novel data filtering strategy for $k$ -NN search algorithms on multicore platforms. By excluding unlikely features during the $k$ -NN search process, this strategy can reduce the amount of computation required as well as the memory footprint. It is complementary to the data selection strategies used in other state-of-the-art $k$ -NN algorithms. A Subspace Clustering for Filtering (SCF) method is proposed to implement the data filtering strategy. Experimental results on four $k$ -NN algorithms show that SCF can significantly improve their performance on three modern multicore platforms with only a small loss of search precision.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 2.173.
- TPDS celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief David A. Bader says, "Congratulations to TPDS on its Silver Jubilee! For 25 years, TPDS has been the parallel and distributed computing community's flagship journal for research breakthroughs!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Editor's Note (Jan 2015)
- State of the Journal (Jan 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note (Nov 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (April 2012)
- Editor's Note (January 2012)
- Editorial: Media Center (November 2011)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
- Special Issue on Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) (Sept 2012)
- Special Section on Many-Task Computing (June 2011)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPDS content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus Podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TPDS is indexed in ISI