IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. Parallelism and distributed computing are foundational research and technology to rapidly advance computer systems and their applications. Read the full scope of TPDS
IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model.
From the February 2016 Issue
An Efficient GPU Implementation of Inclusion-Based Pointer Analysis
By Yu Su, Ding Ye, Jingling Xue, and Xiang-Ke Liao
We present an efficient GPU implementation of Andersen's whole-program inclusion-based pointer analysis, a fundamental analysis on which many others are based, including optimising compilers, bug detection and security analyses. Andersen's algorithm makes extensive modifications to the graph that represents the pointer-manipulating statements in a program. These modifications are highly irregular, input-dependent and statically unpredictable, making it much more challenging to balance such graph workloads across a multitude of GPU cores than those dealt with by traditional graph algorithms such as DFS and BFS. To parallelise Andersen's analysis efficiently on GPUs, we introduce an imbalance-aware workload partitioning scheme that divides its workload dynamically among the concurrent warps, initially in a warp-centric manner (during the coarse-grain stage) but later switches to a task-pool-based model when a workload imbalance is detected (during the fine-grain stage). We improve further its performance by using an adaptive group propagation scheme to reduce some redundant traversals. For a set of 14 C benchmarks evaluated, our parallel implementation of Andersen's analysis achieves a significant speedup of 46 percent on average over the state-of-the art on an NVIDIA Tesla K20c GPU.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPDS has an impact factor of 2.173.
- TPDS celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief David A. Bader says, "Congratulations to TPDS on its Silver Jubilee! For 25 years, TPDS has been the parallel and distributed computing community's flagship journal for research breakthroughs!"
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Editor's Note (January 2016)
- Editor's Note (January 2015)
- State of the Journal (January 2014)
- Editor's Note: EIC Farewell and New EIC Introduction (Dec 2013)
- Editor's Note (November 2013)
- Editor's Note (January 2013)
- Editor's Note (April 2012)
- Editor's Note (January 2012)
- Editorial: Media Center (November 2011)
- Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic
- Full Supplemental PDF of Editor's Note: How to Write Research Articles in Computing and Engineering Disciplines by Ivan Stojmenovic and Veljko Milutinovic (PDF)
- Special Issue on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Parallel and Distributed Systems (Feb 2014)
- Special Issue on Cloud Computing (June 2013)
- Special Issue on Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) (Sept 2012)
- Special Section on Many-Task Computing (June 2011)
Access recently published TPDS articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPDS content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
Listen to the OnlinePlus Podcast: Computer Society Publishing—two more titles migrate to OnlinePlus™ in 2012.
In this podcast, VP of Publications, David Alan Grier talks about Transactions on Mobile Computing and Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems migrating to OnlinePlus™.
TPDS is indexed in ISI