IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. This journal covers traditional areas of computer vision and image understanding, all traditional areas of pattern analysis and recognition, and selected areas of machine intelligence. Read the full scope of TPAMI
From the April 2015 issue
Mirror Surface Reconstruction from a Single Image
By Miaomiao Liu, Richard Hartley, and Mathieu Salzmann
This paper tackles the problem of reconstructing the shape of a smooth mirror surface from a single image. In particular, we consider the case where the camera is observing the reflection of a static reference target in the unknown mirror. We first study the reconstruction problem given dense correspondences between 3D points on the reference target and image locations. In such conditions, our differential geometry analysis provides a theoretical proof that the shape of the mirror surface can be recovered if the pose of the reference target is known. We then relax our assumptions by considering the case where only sparse correspondences are available. In this scenario, we formulate reconstruction as an optimization problem, which can be solved using a nonlinear least-squares method. We demonstrate the effectiveness of our method on both synthetic and real images. We then provide a theoretical analysis of the potential degenerate cases with and without prior knowledge of the pose of the reference target. Finally we show that our theory can be similarly applied to the reconstruction of the surface of transparent object.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPAMI has an impact factor of 5.694.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- We are pleased to announce that David Forsyth, a professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, is the new Editor in Chief of IEEE Transactions on Pattern and Machine Intelligence starting in 2013. He was previously a member of the advisory board of TPAMI.
- Print on Demand is Now Available for OnlinePlus Titles
- TPAMI Essential Set now available
- State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editor's Note (June 2013)
- Farewall State of the Journal (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (May 2012)
- Editor's Note (February 2012)
- State of the Journal (January 2012)
- Special Issue on Bayesian Nonparametrics (Feb 2015)
- TPAMI CVPR Special Section (Dec 2013)
- Special Section on Learning Deep Architectures (Aug 2013)
- In Memoriam: Mark Everingham (Nov 2012)
- Introduction to the Special Section on IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (September 2012)
Access recently published TPAMI articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPAMI content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.