IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI) is a scholarly archival journal published monthly. This journal covers traditional areas of computer vision and image understanding, all traditional areas of pattern analysis and recognition, and selected areas of machine intelligence. Read the full scope of TPAMI
From the May 2015 issue
Retrieving Similar Styles to Parse Clothing
By Kota Yamaguchi, M. Hadi Kiapour, Luis E. Ortiz, and Tamara L. Berg
Clothing recognition is a societally and commercially important yet extremely challenging problem due to large variations in clothing appearance, layering, style, and body shape and pose. In this paper, we tackle the clothing parsing problem using a retrieval-based approach. For a query image, we find similar styles from a large database of tagged fashion images and use these examples to recognize clothing items in the query. Our approach combines parsing from: pre-trained global clothing models, local clothing models learned on the fly from retrieved examples, and transferred parse-masks (Paper Doll item transfer) from retrieved examples. We evaluate our approach extensively and show significant improvements over previous state-of-the-art for both localization (clothing parsing given weak supervision in the form of tags) and detection (general clothing parsing). Our experimental results also indicate that the general pose estimation problem can benefit from clothing parsing.
Editorials and Announcements
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, TPAMI has an impact factor of 5.694.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- We are pleased to announce that David Forsyth, a professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, is the new Editor in Chief of IEEE Transactions on Pattern and Machine Intelligence starting in 2013. He was previously a member of the advisory board of TPAMI.
- TPAMI Essential Set now available
- State of the Journal (Jan 2015)
- Editor's Note (June 2013)
- Farewall State of the Journal (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (Jan 2013)
- Editor's Note (May 2012)
- Editor's Note (February 2012)
- State of the Journal (January 2012)
- Special Issue on Bayesian Nonparametrics (Feb 2015)
- TPAMI CVPR Special Section (Dec 2013)
- Special Section on Learning Deep Architectures (Aug 2013)
- In Memoriam: Mark Everingham (Nov 2012)
- Introduction to the Special Section on IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (September 2012)
Access recently published TPAMI articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TPAMI content added to the digital library
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.