IEEE Transactions on Haptics
IEEE Transactions on Haptics (ToH) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2014 issues! IEEE Transactions on Haptics (ToH) is a quarterly journal that publishes archival research results related to the science, technology and applications associated with information acquisition and object manipulation through touch.
From the October-December 2015 issue
Enhancing the Performance of Passive Teleoperation Systems via Cutaneous Feedback
By Claudio Pacchierotti, Asad Tirmizi, Gianni Bianchini, Domenico Prattichizzo
We introduce a novel method to improve the performance of passive teleoperation systems with force reflection. It consists of integrating kinesthetic haptic feedback provided by common grounded haptic interfaces with cutaneous haptic feedback. The proposed approach can be used on top of any time-domain control technique that ensures a stable interaction by scaling down kinesthetic feedback when this is required to satisfy stability conditions (e.g., passivity) at the expense of transparency. Performance is recovered by providing a suitable amount of cutaneous force through custom wearable cutaneous devices. The viability of the proposed approach is demonstrated through an experiment of perceived stiffness and an experiment of teleoperated needle insertion in soft tissue.
Editorials and Announcements
- Rendering Tactile Features on Touchscreens by R.L. Klatzky and J.E. Colgate was featured in the November 2014 issue of Computer.
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, ToH has an impact factor of 2.030.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- ToH Citations for Meritorious Service (2008-2014)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2015)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2014)
- EIC Editorial (Oct-Dec 2013)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2013)
- Haptic Assistive Technology for Individuals who are Visually Impaired (July-Sept 2015)
- Special Issue on Haptics in Rehabilitation and Neural Engineering (April-June 2014)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2015)
- News from the Field: Coders and the Creative Unite to Design and Build Apps for Surface Haptics (April-June 2015)
- News from the Field Asia Haptics (Jan-March 2015)
- News from the Field (Oct-Dec 2014)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2014)
- News from the Field (April-June 2014)
- Book Review: Human Robotics: Neuromechanics and Motor Control (PDF)
Call for Papers
Access recently published ToH articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest ToH content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
ToH is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society and the IEEE Consumer Electronics Society.
Indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI