IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT) is an archival journal published quarterly using a delayed open access publication model. TLT covers research on such topics as Innovative online learning systems, Intelligent tutors, Educational software applications and games, and Simulation systems for education and training.
From the October-December 2015 issue
Evaluating Recommender Systems for Technology Enhanced Learning: A Quantitative Survey
By Mojisola Erdt, Alejandro Fernandez, and Christoph Rensing
The increasing number of publications on recommender systems for Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) evidence a growing interest in their development and deployment. In order to support learning, recommender systems for TEL need to consider specific requirements, which differ from the requirements for recommender systems in other domains like e-commerce. Consequently, these particular requirements motivate the incorporation of specific goals and methods in the evaluation process for TEL recommender systems. In this article, the diverse evaluation methods that have been applied to evaluate TEL recommender systems are investigated. A total of 235 articles are selected from major conferences, workshops, journals, and books where relevant work have been published between 2000 and 2014. These articles are quantitatively analyzed and classified according to the following criteria: type of evaluation methodology, subject of evaluation, and effects measured by the evaluation. Results from the survey suggest that there is a growing awareness in the research community of the necessity for more elaborate evaluations. At the same time, there is still substantial potential for further improvements. This survey highlights trends and discusses strengths and shortcomings of the evaluation of TEL recommender systems thus far, thereby aiming to stimulate researchers to contemplate novel evaluation approaches.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Open access is now available for the April-June 2014 issue and for all 2008-2013 issues of TLT
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the October-December 2015 Issue
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the July-September 2015 Issue
- Welcome to the April-June 2015 Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT) (April-June 2015)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the January-March 2015 Issue (Jan-Mar 2015)
- Editorial (Oct-Dec 2014)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the July-September 2014 Issue
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the April-June 2014 Issue
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the January-March 2014 Issue
- Editorial (Oct-Dec 2013)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the July-September 2013 Issue
- EIC Editorial and Introduction of New Associate Editors (April-June 2013)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the January-March 2013 Issue
- EIC Team Farewell and New EIC Team Introduction (Jan-March 2013)
- Special Issue on Seamless, Ubiquitous, and Contextual Learning (Jan-Mar 2015)
- Special Section on Social Computing and Social Knowledge for e-Learning (July-Sept 2014)
- Special Section on Learning Systems for Science and Technology Education (July-Sept 2013)
- Special Section on Semantic Technologies for Learning and Teaching Support in Higher Education (April-June 2012)
- Special Issue on Intelligent and Innovative Support Systems for CSCL (Jan-Mar 2011)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Wearable Technologies and the Internet of Things in Education and Training (PDF)
Deadline for Extended Abstracts: June 22, 2015
Deadline for Full Manuscript Submission (by invitation only, based on extended abstracts): September 28, 2015
- Special Issue on Learning Analytics (PDF)
Submission Deadline: February 1, 2016
- Ongoing call for papers for TLT
Access recently published TLT articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TLT content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society and the IEEE Education Society
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies is Indexed in ISI.