IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT) is an archival journal published quarterly using a delayed open access publication model. TLT covers research on such topics as Innovative online learning systems, Intelligent tutors, Educational software applications and games, and Simulation systems for education and training.
From the July-September 2015 issue
Implementation and Evaluation of Digital E-Lecture Annotation in Learning Groups to Foster Active Learning
By Franka Grünewald and Christoph Meinel
The use of video lectures in distance learning involves the two major problems of searchability and active user participation. In this paper, we promote the implementation and usage of a collaborative educational video annotation functionality to overcome these two challenges. Different use cases and requirements, as well as details of the implementation, are explained. Furthermore, we suggest more improvements to foster a culture of participation and an algorithm for the extraction of semantic data. Finally, evaluations in the form of user tests and questionnaires in a MOOC setting are presented. The results of the evaluation are promising, as they indicate not only that students perceive it as useful, but also that the learning effectiveness increases. The combination of personal lecture video annotations with a semantic topic map was also evaluated positively and will thus be investigated further, as will the implementation in a MOOC context.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Open access is now available for the April-June 2014 issue and for all 2008-2013 issues of TLT
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the July-September 2015 Issue
- Welcome to the April-June 2015 Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT) (April-June 2015)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the January-March 2015 Issue (Jan-Mar 2015)
- Editorial (Oct-Dec 2014)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the July-September 2014 Issue
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the April-June 2014 Issue
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the January-March 2014 Issue
- Editorial (Oct-Dec 2013)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the July-September 2013 Issue
- EIC Editorial and Introduction of New Associate Editors (April-June 2013)
- Editorial: A Message from the Editorial Team and an Introduction to the January-March 2013 Issue
- EIC Team Farewell and New EIC Team Introduction (Jan-March 2013)
- Special Issue on Seamless, Ubiquitous, and Contextual Learning (Jan-Mar 2015)
- Special Section on Social Computing and Social Knowledge for e-Learning (July-Sept 2014)
- Special Section on Learning Systems for Science and Technology Education (July-Sept 2013)
- Special Section on Semantic Technologies for Learning and Teaching Support in Higher Education (April-June 2012)
- Special Issue on Intelligent and Innovative Support Systems for CSCL (Jan-Mar 2011)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Wearable Technologies and the Internet of Things in Education and Training (PDF)
Deadline for Extended Abstracts: June 22, 2015
Deadline for Full Manuscript Submission (by invitation only, based on extended abstracts): September 28, 2015
- Special Issue on Learning Analytics (PDF)
Submission Deadline: February 1, 2016
- Ongoing call for papers for TLT
Access recently published TLT articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TLT content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society and the IEEE Education Society
IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies is Indexed in ISI.