IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) is an archival journal published monthly designed to inform researchers, developers, managers, strategic planners, users, and others interested in state-of-the-art and state-of-the-practice activities in the knowledge and data engineering area. Read the full scope of TKDE
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2013 issues!
From the July 2015 issue
In-Memory Big Data Management and Processing: A Survey
By Hao Zhang, Gang Chen, Beng Chin Ooi, Kian-Lee Tan, and Meihui Zhang
Growing main memory capacity has fueled the development of in-memory big data management and processing. By eliminating disk I/O bottleneck, it is now possible to support interactive data analytics. However, in-memory systems are much more sensitive to other sources of overhead that do not matter in traditional I/O-bounded disk-based systems. Some issues such as fault-tolerance and consistency are also more challenging to handle in in-memory environment. We are witnessing a revolution in the design of database systems that exploits main memory as its data storage layer. Many of these researches have focused along several dimensions: modern CPU and memory hierarchy utilization, time/space efficiency, parallelism, and concurrency control. In this survey, we aim to provide a thorough review of a wide range of in-memory data management and processing proposals and systems, including both data storage systems and data processing frameworks. We also give a comprehensive presentation of important technology in memory management, and some key factors that need to be considered in order to achieve efficient in-memory data management and processing.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- TKDE celebrates its 25th Anniversary. Editor-in-Chief Jian Pei says, "We are celebrating the 25th Anniversary of TKDE. Since its first issue in March 1989, TKDE has published 2,981 articles, and another 220 articles in the early access portal. With 898 submissions and 79 accepted articles in 2012, TKDE is now the premier journal in the broad and general fields of data management, data mining, and knowledge engineering. We thank all the authors, reviewers, and readers for their continuing support to TKDE. As always, we are eager to hear your ideas and suggestions, and will do our best to meet your expectations. With all your passions, contributions, and supports, TKDE is embracing the new era of big data and big data analytics. Happy birthday to TKDE!"
- State of the Journal Editorial (January 2015)
- Editorial: State of the Transactions (January 2014)
- Editorial (August 2013)
- New EIC Editorial (Feb 2013)
- Outgoing EIC Editorial (Feb 2013)
- State of the Journal (Feb 2012)
- EIC Editorial (January 2011)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (July 2015)
- Special Section on the International Conference on Data Engineering (June 2014)
- Special Section on the 27th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2011)(Oct 2012)
- Special Section on Keyword Search on Structured Data (Dec 2011)
- Cloud Data Management (Sept 2011)
- Special Section on the 26th International Conference on Data Engineering (Aug 2011)
Access recently published TKDE articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TKDE content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.