From the July-September 2014 issue
Mining Contracts for Business Events and Temporal Constraints in Service Engagements
By Xibin Gao and Munindar P. Singh
Contracts are legally binding descriptions of business service engagements. In particular, we consider business events as elements of a service engagement. Business events such as purchase, delivery, bill payment, and bank interest accrual not only correspond to essential processes but are also inherently temporally constrained. Identifying and understanding the events and their temporal relationships can help a business partner determine what to deliver and what to expect from others as it participates in the service engagement specified by a contract. However, contracts are expressed in unstructured text and their insights are buried therein. Our contributions are threefold. We develop a novel approach employing a hybrid of surface patterns, parsing, and classification to extract 1) business events and 2) their temporal constraints from contract text. We use topic modeling to 3) automatically organize the event terms into clusters. An evaluation on a real-life contract dataset demonstrates the viability and promise of our hybrid approach, yielding an F-measure of 0.89 in event extraction and 0.90 in temporal constraints extraction. The topic model yields event term clusters with an average match of 85 percent between two independent human annotations and an expert-assigned set of class labels for the clusters.
Editorials and Announcements
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- Congrats to TSC's Editor-in-Chief, Ling Liu, on winning the 2012 IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award!
- TSC celebrates its 5th anniversary
- eBooks of issues of TSC can now be downloaded from the Computer Society Digital Library
- Editorial: A Message from the Editor-in-Chief (Apr-June 2013)
- Introduction of new Associate Editors (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: A message from the new Editor-in-Chief (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: Farewell and Introduction to the New Editor-in-Chief (Jan-Mar 2013)
- Editorial: Moving to the Fifth Year of TSC (Jan-Mar 2012)
- Guest Editorial: Special Issue on Clouds for Social Computing (July-Sept 2014)
- Guest Editorial: Special Section on Social and Economic Computing (Apr-June 2013)
- Guest Editorial: Special Issue on Cloud Computing (Oct-Dec 2012)
- Guest Editorial: Special Section on Enforcement and Management in Services Computing (Apr-Jun 2012)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Process meet Big Data (PDF)
Submission Deadline: November 15, 2014.
- Special Issue on Cyber-Physical Systems and Services (PDF)
Submission Deadline: December 1, 2014.
- Special Issue on Cloud Services Meet Big Data (PDF)
Submission Deadline: January 31, 2015.
- Special Issue on In Search of a New Alignment in Service Research (PDF)
Submission Deadline: March 1, 2015.
- Special Issue on Security and Dependability of Cloud Systems and Services (PDF)
Submission Deadline: May 31, 2015.
- Special Issue on Service-Oriented Collaborative Computing and Applications (PDF)
Submission Deadline: June 15, 2015.
- Special Issue on Software Engineering and Applications for Cloud-based Mobile Systems (PDF)
Submission Deadline: November 1, 2015.
Access Recently Published TSC Articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest TSC content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection Newsletter.
IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC) is a journal that focuses on research on the algorithmic, mathematical, statistical and computational methods that are central in services computing; the emerging field of Service Oriented Architecture, Web Services, Business Process Integration, Solution Performance Management, Services Operations and Management.
Read more about TSC