From the April-June 2013 issue
A Hand-Centric Classification of Human and Robot Dexterous Manipulation
By Ian M. Bullock, Raymond R. Ma, and Aaron M. Dollar
This work contributes to the development of a common framework for the discussion and analysis of dexterous manipulation across the human and robotic domains. An overview of previous work is first provided along with an analysis of the tradeoffs between arm and hand dexterity. A hand-centric and motion-centric manipulation classification is then presented and applied in four different ways. It is first discussed how the taxonomy can be used to identify a manipulation strategy. Then, applications for robot hand analysis and engineering design are explained...
Editorials and Announcements
- We are pleased to announce that Lynette A. Jones, senior research scientist in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is the new editor in chief of IEEE Transactions on Haptics (ToH) starting in 2014. She was previously the Associate Editor in Chief of ToH.
- Listen to the ToH Podcast: Overview of the April-June 2013 Issue by William Provancher
- ToH celebrates its 5th anniversary
- eBooks of issues of ToH can now be downloaded from the Computer Society Digital Library
- 2008-2011 Citations for Meritorious Service
- J. Edward Colgate featured in this month's Volunteer Spotlight
- Editorial (Jan-March 2013)
- EIC Editorial (Jan-March 2012)
- EIC Editorial (April-June 2011)
- EIC Editorial (Jan-Mar 2011)
- Haptic Human-Robot Interaction (July-Sept 2012)
- Guest Editorial for Special Section on Consumer Electronics (Jan-March 2012)
- Haptics in Medicine and Clinical Skill Acquisition (July-Sept 2011)
Call for Papers
Access recently published ToH articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest ToH content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
ToH is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society and the IEEE Consumer Electronics Society.
Indexed in ISI
Listen to the ToH Podcast: Overview of the October-December 2012 Issue by William Provancher
This Podcast gives an overview of the articles in the October-December issue.
Listen to the ToH Podcast: Overview of the July-September 2012 Special Issue on Haptic-Human Robot Interaction by William Provancher
This Podcast gives an overview of the eight articles in the July-September Special Issue on Haptic-Human Robot Interaction.
Listen to the ToH Podcast: Interview with Guest Editor Allison Okamura
This interview features a discussion between AE Federico Barbagli and Allison Okamura, one of the guest editors of the Special Section on Haptics in Medicine and Clinical Skill Acquisition in the July-September 2011 issue, about how this special section came about and the six chosen papers.
Listen to the ToH Podcast: Interview with the Authors of "The Role of Haptics in Medical Training Simulators: A Survey of the State of the Art"
AE Federico Barbagli interviews Timothy R. Coles, Dwight Meglan, and Nigel W. John, authors of "The Role of Haptics in Medical Training Simulators: A Survey of the State of the Art" from the January-March 2011 issue, where they discuss the purpose and benefits of medical training simulators.
Listen to the ToH Podcast: World Haptics Spotlight Section
In this interview, AE Federico Barbaglia and Lynette Jones, one of the Guest Editors of the World Haptics Spotlight Section in the July-September 2010 issue, discuss the five papers featured in this issue.
Listen to the ToH Podcast: Review of Designs for Haptic Data Visualization
AE Federico Barbagli Interviews Sabrina Paneels and Jonathan C. Roberts, authors of "Review of Designs for Haptic Data Visualization" from the April-June 2010 issue, where they define the field of haptic data visualization, give examples of its application, and discuss the motivation for their work.
A word from Editor-in-Chief J. Edward Colgate