IEEE Transactions on Haptics
IEEE Transactions on Haptics (ToH) has moved to the OnlinePlus publication model starting with 2014 issues! IEEE Transactions on Haptics (ToH) is a quarterly journal that publishes archival research results related to the science, technology and applications associated with information acquisition and object manipulation through touch.
From the January-March 2015 issue
Controllable Surface Haptics via Particle Jamming and Pneumatics
By Andrew A. Stanley and Allison M. Okamura
The combination of particle jamming and pneumatics allows the simultaneous control of shape and mechanical properties in a tactile display. A hollow silicone membrane is molded into an array of thin cells, each filled with coffee grounds such that adjusting the vacuum level in any individual cell rapidly switches it between flexible and rigid states. The array clamps over a pressure-regulated air chamber with internal mechanisms designed to pin the nodes between cells at any given height. Various sequences of cell vacuuming, node pinning, and chamber pressurization allow the surface to balloon into a variety of shapes. Experiments were performed to expand existing physical models of jamming at the inter-particle level to define the rheological characteristics of jammed systems from a macroscopic perspective, relevant to force-displacement interactions that would be experienced by human users. Force-displacement data show that a jammed cell in compression fits a Maxwell model and a cell deflected in the center while supported only at the edges fits a Zener model, each with stiffness and damping parameters that increase at higher levels of applied vacuum. This provides framework to tune and control the mechanical properties of a jamming haptic interface.
Editorials and Announcements
- Rendering Tactile Features on Touchscreens by R.L. Klatzky and J.E. Colgate was featured in the November 2014 issue of Computer.
- According to Thomson Reuters' 2013 Journal Citation Report, ToH has an impact factor of 2.030.
- Get Your Journals as eBooks for Free
- ToH Citations for Meritorious Service (2008-2014)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2015)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2014)
- EIC Editorial (Oct-Dec 2013)
- Editorial (Jan-March 2013)
- News from the Field Asia Haptics (Jan-March 2015)
- News from the Field (Oct-Dec 2014)
- News from the Field (July-Sept 2014)
- News from the Field (April-June 2014)
- Book Review: Human Robotics: Neuromechanics and Motor Control (PDF)
Call for Papers
- Special Issue on Active Touch Sensing in Robots, Humans and Other Animals (PDF)
Submission Deadline: June 1, 2015.
- Submit your papers to ToH. Open Ended call for papers (PDF)
Listen and subscribe to the IEEE Transactions on Haptics (ToH) Podcast available free in the Apple iTunes store.
Access recently published ToH articles
Subscribe to the RSS feed of latest ToH content added to the digital library.
Sign up for the Transactions Connection newsletter.
ToH is a joint publication of the IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Robotics and Automation Society and the IEEE Consumer Electronics Society.
Indexed in MEDLINE®/PubMed® & ISI