« Back

EU Says Google Concessions Inadequate

The European Commission says Google’s proposed resolutions to an ongoing anti-trust investigation are insufficient and do not alleviate concerns about blocking competitors in web search results. Joaquin Almunia, the European Competition Commissioner stated at a Wednesday news conference that he has asked Google to submit improved concessions. The search giant, which has roughly an 80 percent share of the search market in Europe, originally submitted proposed concessions to the European Commission in April to resolve a three-year investigation. It offered to mark its products in search results, provide links to at least three rival sites in results, and allow advertisers to move to competing search services. Google could be subject to significant fines if the matter is not resolved. It had been thought the matter could be concluded by year’s end. Google says it stands by its current offer. (Reuters)(CNET) 

Comments
Trackback URL: