IEEE-CS Game Technology Workshop
The purpose of this section is to plan for the IEEE-CS Game Technology Workshop.
General Info #
Date: Tue/3 Feb 09
Time: 8am - 4pm
Location: Sheraton Gateway Hotel, LAX, Los Angeles, CA
- Provide a common understanding of our different organizations (SAB/GTSC, TAB/TFGT, Local Chapter/GameSIG) and areas of overlap.
- Review the game standards roadmap (current) and identify milestones/deliverables for the way ahead (future), to include:
- Candidates for game tech standards & likely study groups (identify the top standards areas).
- Eliciting interest & membership (identify the communities of interest and methods for membership).
- Leadership (officers, sponsor chair).
- Identify areas & benefits from collaboration, emphasizing the following:
- Communication methods/tools (web2.0, listserv, etc.)
- Events (-).
- Articles (IEEE and other pubs).
- Other (ReadyNotes, etc.)
- Agree upon the Way Forward (future meetings/workshops; collaboration amongst our organizations between now & then).
Note: other than the IEEE-CS leadership, we may want to offer Don Black the opportunity to suggest some of the attendees -- particularly those from the commercial game industry (see below).
SAB (Standards) #
- SAB - John Harauz (VP, SAB).
- SC - Bret Wilson (Interim Chair?, GTSC).
T&C (Technical) #
- T&C - John Walz (VP, T&C).
- TF - Jim Parker (Chair, TFGT).
Local Chapter(s) #
- Orange County - Don Black (Chair, GameSIG).
Student Chapter(s) #
- USA West (Region 6 ) - Harold Javid and/or other student rep(s) from represented schools:
- Mike Zyda, Director - USC GamePipe Lab
- Ben Sawyer, Co-Founder - Digital Mill & Serious Games Initiative.
- Reps from the LA-based gamedev industry?
|Heading Time||Heading Topic||Presenter||Notes|
|0930-1000||Refreshments||-||Coffee & snacks provided by hotel.|
|1000-1030||Welcome & Introductions||John Harauz||General overview, review agenda, attendee introductions.|
|1030-1100||T&C Overview||John Walz||Overview of T&C.|
|1100-1130||SAB Overview||John Harauz||Overview of SAB.|
|1130-1145||TFGT Overview||Jim Parker||Assuming we can get some rep. from the TF to attend?|
|1145-1230||GameSIG Overview||Don Black||Overview of OC Chapter & GameSIG.|
|1230-1300||GTSC Overview||Bret Wilson||Overview of Game Tech Standards Sponsor Group.|
|1300-1400||Hosted Lunch||-||Working lunch (hotel); completing the overview briefings by this time is important to help facilitate open discussions, prior to resuming at 1300.|
|1400-1500||Game Standards: Next Steps||<Open-Moderated>||First, identify the needs (value-added), then the how (groundwork for a formal sponsor, study group, working groups, membership, leadership).|
|1500-1515||Break||-||Coffee & drinks provided by hotel.|
|1500-1530||SAB, T&C, Chapter Linkages||Walz,Harauz, Black||/Identify methods, tools, strategies for collaboration amongst Technical & Standards groups.|
|1530-1600||The Way Forward||Walz, Harauz, Black||Review roadmap, milestones, deliverables.|
- Attendees: 30 max.
- Seating: round-robin (or something conducive to discussion; not "classroom" style).
- Digital projector + screen.
- Internet-enabled PC or internet connection for laptop/mobile device.
- White board + markers.
- Access to printer a/o copying machine.
- Workshop materials/collateral: should be available for download, prior to event (where will this be hosted? which site?), e.g.
- IEEE-CS 2008 Strategic Plan (to include SAB, T&C).
- Workshop presentations (if available in time).
- POCs (list of attendees and links to their organizations).
- List of discussion topics - and if possible - hosted on a website to begin discussion threads, prior to workshop (host on IEEE-CS portal?)
Note: include deliverables as attachments to this page.
- SAB presentation (TBD).
- SAB presentation to SoG (see attached).
- T&C presentation (TBD).
- GTSC presentation (TBD) - Will model it after the SAB presentation.
- Briefing (Vision Doc, Needs Assessment?) ref: website proposal.