Genomic Privacy and the Rise of a New Research Community
Recent breakthroughs in whole genome sequencing (WGS) have laid the foundations to improve modern healthcare and attain a better understanding of genetic features, as well as their relation to diseases. This progress, however, also raises alarming privacy and ethical issues: genomes not only uniquely and irrevocably identify their owner but also contain treasure troves of personal and sensitive information. Read full article »
Moving-Target Defenses for Computer Networks
One of the criticisms of traditional security approaches is that they present a static target for attackers. To address this, the concept of moving-target defense (MTD) has recently emerged as a new paradigm for protecting computer networks and systems. Read full article »
Seeking Editor in Chief
The IEEE Computer Society seeks applicants for the position of editor in chief, serving a two-year term starting 1 January 2016. The EIC would need to be available for training and interim activity beginning 1 October 2015.
Prospective candidates are asked to provide (as PDF files), by 1 August 2014, a complete curriculum vitae, a brief plan for the publication's future, and a letter of support from their
institution or employer.
Qualifications and Requirements
Candidates for any IEEE Computer Society editor in chief position should possess a good understanding of industry, academic, and government aspects of the specific publication's field. In addition, candidates must demonstrate the managerial skills necessary to process manuscripts through the editorial cycle in a timely fashion. An editor in chief must be able to attract respected experts to his or her editorial board.
Major responsibilities include
- actively soliciting high-quality manuscripts from potential authors and, with support from publication staff, helping these authors publish their manuscripts;
- identifying and appointing editorial board members, with the concurrence of the Publications Board;
- selecting competent manuscript reviewers, with the help of editorial board members, and managing timely reviews of manuscripts;
- directing editorial board members to seek special-issue proposals and manuscripts in specific areas;
- providing a clear, broad focus through promotion of personal vision and guidance where appropriate; and
- resolving conflicts or problems as necessary.
Applicants should possess recognized expertise in the computer science and computer security community, and must have clear employer support.
For more information on the search process and to submit application materials for IEEE Security & Privacy, please contact: Kathy Clark-Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Authentication at Scale
Arguing that it's time to give up on elaborate password rules, Google Vice President of Security Eric Grosse and engineer Mayank Upadhyay present a better way to achieve stronger user identification. Read full article »
Podcast: Silver Bullet