Building Internet of Things Software
Final submissions due: 1 July 2014
Publication issue: March/April 2015
Please email the guest editors a brief description of the article you plan to submit by 15 June 2014
Guest Editors: Luciano Baresi, Luca Mottola, and Schahram Dustdar (email@example.com)
As we equip people, places, and commodities with Internet-connected embedded devices that can sense information about the environment and subsequently take action, we will create the Internet of Things. The IoT will improve society and quality of life, but making this vision a reality requires interdisciplinary efforts in a range of scientific domains. Specifically, enabling the design, implementation, validation, and real-world use of IoT software requires that we embrace diverse contributions in coherent and practical development frameworks, possibly based on current and future standards.
This special issue seeks contributions about recent or ongoing research efforts, experience reports, and success stories in enabling an effective development of IoT software out of the individual building blocks available in different communities. Topics of interest include
- design and modeling approaches and methodologies for IoT software;
- programming abstractions and languages expressly conceived for the IoT;
- development techniques for IoT software appropriate for different hardware;
- platforms, from tiny sensors to the enterprise level;
- approaches for composing and interoperating existing IoT functionality;
- cross-layer IoT software architectures;
- standards for developing IoT software; and
- real-world deployments and experiences in building IoT systems.
All submissions must be original manuscripts of fewer than 5,000 words, focused on Internet technologies and implementations. All manuscripts are subject to peer review on both technical merit and relevance to IC's international readership — primarily practicing engineers and academics who are looking for material that introduces new technology and broadens familiarity with current topics. We do not accept white papers, and we discourage strictly theoretical or mathematical papers. To submit a manuscript, please log on to ScholarOne (https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com:443/ic-cs) to create or access an account, which you can use to log on to IC's Author Center and upload your submission.