Submitting a manuscript for review
Authors should submit their manuscript through ScholarOne Manuscripts using the provided templates. For blind review, the manuscript should omit authorship and other identifying information.
Please submit electronically in postscript or PDF, and ensure that the submitted file can be viewed in Ghostview or Acrobat Reader 3.0. No hard copy is necessary.
A standard IEEE copyright release will also be required.
Submission materials and manuscript format
Submitted letters must be four pages or fewer, including all figures, tables, and references. Submissions exceeding this length will be returned without review. Papers should use IEEE transactions two-column format in 9-pt. font.
For the final version:
- please list your affiliation in the masthead below the author names, ie "conference style"
- please be sure to turn off page numbers and use the standard font and font sizes
- table captions belong above the table, figure captions below the figure
- for the list of references, please index by number (eg, ) and order the list in alphabetical order by first author. References should abbreviate author first names, eg:
 J. Doe and J. Q. Public. "Title of paper." In Proceedings of the Twenty-Ninth International Symposium on Computer Architecture, pages 23-33, May 2002.
Instructions for creating PDFs
If you are submitting your paper as a PDF, please be sure to embed all fonts. If your paper contains color, please use the RGB colorspace for your images. Papers can be posted online in color, however they will appear in black & white in print. Please do not use a pattern colorspace.
If you are using Adobe Distiller to create a PDF please use the followingjoboptions.
The author is responsible for obtaining copyright releases and corporate and security clearances prior to submitting material for consideration. It is the IEEE's policy to assume that all clearances are granted when a paper is submitted.
Concurrent or overlapping submission and originality of work
Submissions to CAL must consist of original work that has not been previously published nor is currently under review elsewhere. Concurrent or overlapping submission to CAL and other publications is viewed as a serious breach of ethics and, if detected, will result in immediate rejection of the submission. This prohibition also applies to papers of different lengths on the same topic. (For questions about specific cases, please contact the editors in chief.)
Contributions beyond prior work must be clearly articulated. Letters submissions that extend or are otherwise closely related to prior publications must also include copies of those prior papers for the reviewers' and editors' reference.
However, due to the short format, we expect that publication in CAL should not preclude subsequent publication in top-quality conferences or full-length journals.
Blind-submissions to CAL are allowed, but authors have to provide a list of all potential conflicts of interest in their cover letter. CAL defines a conflict of interest as:
- Your PhD advisor and PhD students forever.
- Family relations by blood or marriage forever.
- People with whom you collaborated in the past five years.
- Collaborators, including co-authors on an accepted/rejected/pending research paper, co-PIs on an accepted/rejected/pending grant, those who fund your research, and researchers whom you fund. "Service" collaborations, such as writing a CSTB report or serving on a program committee, are not a conflict-of-interest by themselves.
- People who were employed or were a student at your primary institution(s) in the past five years.
- Others with whom you believe a conflict of interest exists (please contact the Editor-in-Chiefs if you have a question or doubt).
Submissions are accepted on a continuing basis. Each submission will be assigned to an appropriate member of the Editorial Board to manage the review process.
The response time from submission to author notification currently averages one month. Upon acceptance, authors will have one week to make revisions. The current acceptance rate is approximately 24%.
For questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
This publication is a hybrid journal, allowing either Traditional manuscript submission or Open Access (author-pays OA) manuscript submission.
The OA option, if selected, enables unrestricted public access to the article via IEEE Xplore. The OA option will be offered to the author at the time the manuscript is submitted. If selected, the OA discounted fee of $1,750 must be paid before the article is published in the journal. If you have unusual circumstances about this, please contact the Editor-in-Chief.The traditional option, if selected, enables access to all qualified subscribers and purchasers via IEEE Xplore. No OA payment is required.