Build Your Career: Career News   


Entries with tag job satisfaction.

IT Workers' Salaries Register 6.2 Percent Gain

The average salary for IT workers registered a 6.2-percent gain in Global Knowledge and TechRepublic's fifth annual IT Skills and Salary Survey--the highest increase in the survey's history.

The survey also found that job satisfaction among IT professionals is rebounding from its low point in 2010. Sixty percent of respondents reported being satisfied or very satisfied with their positions, compared to 43 percent in 2011 and 40 percent in 2010.

Individuals who trained in the prior year earned an average of 8.6 percent more than those who did not train. Additionally, 65 percent of respondents reported earning a certification in the past five years. The impact of new skills and certifications was also echoed by managers. The percentage of managers reporting that their staff was more effective or significantly more effective on the job after receiving a certification rose to 50 percent, up from 35 percent in 2011.

As it relates to specific job functions, all areas reported at least modest salary growth. Salaries grew the most for those involved in security, database, data center, and servers and storage, while those working in communications and applications/programming experienced the least amount of growth.

Adding to the good news of this year's higher average salary is the fact that 63 percent of respondents received a raise. The bad news is that the likelihood of receiving a raise varied greatly by salary range. Individuals earning $60,000 or less were much less likely to receive a raise than their colleagues in higher earning brackets.

Average salary varied widely across the country. There was a variance of more than $9,000 between the top paying (Northeast) and the lowest paying (Midwest) regions. When looking at pay by state, Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, and Washington, DC, had the highest average salaries. New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming were the lowest-paying states.

Survey: Salaries Rise, But So Does Dissatisfaction

Respondents to Computerworld's annual salary survey said total average compensation (including salary and bonus) was up 1.4 percent, compared to just 0.1 percent in 2010. The magazine also reported that this year's survey showed an overall 1.5 percent salary increase and a 0.3 percent increase in bonuses, while the 2010 survey found a 0.7 percent increase in salaries and a 6.6 percent drop in bonuses.

Fewer of this year's respondents reported budget cuts, salary cuts or freezes, hiring freezes, permanent layoffs, training cuts, or canceled projects. And fewer mentioned the economy as a challenge, the magazine reported. But more than half of this year's respondents reported being "significantly affected" by budget cuts and heavier workloads, with 66 percent saying they expected continued workload increases in the next year. Some 22 percent said they are less satisfied with their job now than they were a year ago, and 19 percent were less satisfied with their overall compensation, according to Computerworld.


Showing 2 results.

Marketing Automation Platform Marketing Automation Tool