The Community for Technology Leaders
RSS Icon
Subscribe
Issue No.01 - January (2003 vol.52)
pp: 1-2
Published by the IEEE Computer Society
As my second two-year term as the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Computers (TC) ends on 31 December 2002, it gives me great pleasure to introduce Professor Viktor Prasanna as the next Editor-in-Chief of the TC.
A committee chaired by Professor Sartaj Sahni conducted the search process for the new EIC. The position had been advertised in Computer, on the Web, and via other media. Several outstanding candidates were considered and the committee presented its recommendation in favor of Dr. Prasanna to the IEEE Computer Society Publications Board in May 2002. At the end of the process, Dr. Willis King, the 2002 President of the IEEE Computer Society, officially appointed Dr. Prasanna as the new EIC of TC.
Dr. Prasanna brings a wealth of talent and experience to TC. He is a fellow of the IEEE and is currently a Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering as well as in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles. He has published extensively and consulted for industries in the above areas. He has served on the organizing committees of several international meetings in VLSI computations, parallel computation, and high performance computing. He is the steering cochair of the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium and is the steering chair of the International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC). He serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing and the Proceedings of the IEEE. He was the founding chair of the IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Parallel Processing.
TC has undergone an important transformation during these past four years: When I began, all submissions were handled manually. Now, all manuscript submissions, reviews, etc., are processed electronically, thereby speeding up the review process considerably and reducing costs for the Society. This transformation was made possible by the hard work of many staff members in the Computer Society offices and by the patience of the Associate Editors and authors during the transition period.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all TC Associate Editors, authors, readers, and reviewers for their great help and support over the past four years. The leadership of Rangachar Kasturi, vice president for publications, has greatly inspired us all. The IEEE Publications Office, under the able guidance of Angela Burgess, has recruited a strong team to support all Computer Society Transactions, including TC. I am extremely grateful to Alicia Barrett, production manager, Suzanne Werner, peer review supervisor, Kathy Santa Maria, senior production editor, and Joyce Atwood, TC transactionsassistant for their great help and support in maintaining the TC standards and production schedule: I cherished the professional relationship we enjoyed and will miss you. But, before I go, let me ask all of you to help the new EIC and his team: Whenever you are contacted and asked to review a paper, please be sure to provide a timely report. You will be doing a favor to the whole community, as it will ensure that the papers in TC are recent, relevant, and will continue fueling the fire of creativity in all of us.
I look forward to a bright future for TC under the leadership of Dr. Prasanna: TC is in quite able hands. Professor Prasanna's photograph and biography follow.
Jean-Luc Gaudiot
Outgoing Editor-in-Chief

For information on obtaining reprints of this article, please send e-mail to: tc@computer.org, and reference IEEECS Log Number 117345.

Viktor K. Prasanna (V.K. Prasanna Kumar) is a professor of electrical engineering and computer science at the University of Southern California ( USC). He is also a member of the US National Science Foundation supported Integrated Media Systems Center (IMSC) and an associate member of the Center for Applied Mathematical Sciences (CAMS) at USC. His research interests include high performance computing, parallel and distributed systems, network computing and embedded systems. He received the BS[char #160]degree in electronics engineering from the Bangalore University, the MS degree from the School of Automation, Indian Institute of Science, and the PhD degree in computer science from the Pennsylvania State University. He has published extensively and consulted for industries in the above areas. He is the steering committee cochair of the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium ( IPDPS) (merged IEEE International Parallel Processing Symposium (IPPS) and Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing (SPDP)). He is the steering committee chair of the International Conference on High Performance Computing ( HiPC). He serves on the editorial boards of the Proceedings of the IEEE and the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing. He was the founding chair of the IEEE Computer Society'sTechnical Committee on Parallel Processing. He is a fellow of the IEEE.
36 ms
(Ver 2.0)

Marketing Automation Platform Marketing Automation Tool