• Company leadership must have a vision of the benefit.
• Development teams must see the value.
• Process engineers must recognize that the change will be both interactive and iterative.
• Dead-end Street initiatives focus on the process itself.
• Country Road initiatives focus on a specific project's engineering practices.
• Crossroads initiatives focus on several company-level units with similar requirements.
• Highway initiatives focus on solving specific problems identified by software practitioners.
David Dorenbos is director of Software and System Engineering Research at Motorola Labs. Contact him at Motorola, 1303 E. Algonquin, Schaumburg, IL 60196; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annie Combelles is president of Q-Labs. Contact her at 28 Villa Baudran, 94742 Arcueil Cedex, France; email@example.com.