• In 1996, software defects in a Boeing 757 caused a crash that killed 70 people.
• In 2003, a software vulnerability helped cause the largest US power outage in decades.
• In 2004, known software weaknesses let a hacker invade T-Mobile, capturing everything from passwords to Paris Hilton's photos.
• In 2005, nearly 24,000 Toyota Prius automobiles were recalled for software errors that could cause the cars to shut down at highway speeds.
• In 2006, dubbed "The Year of Cybercrime," 7,000 software vulnerabilities were discovered that hackers could use to access private information.
• In 2007, operatives in two nations brazenly exploited software vulnerabilities to cripple the infrastructure and steal trade secrets from other sovereign nations.