• Create an independent agency, jointly sponsored by the professional organizations that run conferences.
• Provide a mechanism for reporting to this agency when reviewers have unjustifiably failed to satisfy their obligations. This would cover missing reviews, as well as other problems such as quality. Positive reports would also be encouraged.
• Send a report to the reviewer that an incident has been logged, giving that reviewer the opportunity to dispute the report. Some oversight would be necessary to purge inappropriate reports, possibly with additional records from the person who logged the initial complaint (to encourage whistle blowers to not "cry wolf").
• Provide a way for program chairs, editors, and others who select reviewers to interrogate this database.
• Set policies for aging out information, so that minor infractions are quickly ignored and even major ones don't affect a referee indefinitely.