• understanding the social patterns that influence the spread of diseases,
• understanding other cultures to facilitate international collaboration,
• preventing crime and reducing conflict,
• understanding the performance of governmental and nongovernmental organizations,
• improving the quality of life among groups in diverse multiethnic societies,
• assessing aid programs' effectiveness in a cultural context,
• aiding governmental missions involving contact with diverse cultural groups, and
• aiding recovery from conflicts and disasters.