• an introduction to computer architecture;
• the impact of technology on architecture;
• processor microarchitecture, starting from the classical five-stage, in-order pipeline through dynamically scheduled pipelines, very long instruction word (VLIW) architectures, and vector machines;
• memory hierarchies, including caches and virtual memory;
• multiprocessor systems, including coherence, interconnection networks, synchronization, and memory consistency;
• chip multiprocessors and multithreading; and
• methods for quantitative evaluation.