• a comprehensive, integrated, and sustained Earth-observing system;
• a comprehensive data and information management system to acquire, process, archive, and distribute the information and knowledge from the observing system to scientists and decision makers;
• an Earth system modeling and computational framework for developing, integrating, testing, verifying, and ultimately routinely operating Earth system models in predictive mode;
• advanced technology research and development to support the evolution of observing, modeling, and computing elements; and
• decision-support system components for translating scientific knowledge and Earth system predictions to decision makers for managing Earth's natural resources and environmental policy decisions.