0018-9162/13/$31.00 © 2013 IEEE
Published by the IEEE Computer Society
Computer Society Connection
Merwin Student Scholarship Winners and Application Deadline Announced
The IEEE Computer Society is offering student scholarships of $1,000 and up to recognize and reward promising, active volunteer leaders in student branches or chapters.
The scholarships were established in honor of the late Richard E. Merwin, past president of the IEEE Computer Society. The winners serve as Computer Society student ambassadors for their local IEEE region. Student ambassadors collect and disseminate information to student branches or chapters in their region and serve as a liaison to the Society's Member and Geographic Activities Board.
Merwin scholarships are now being awarded twice each year, once in the fall and once in the spring.
Merwin award recipients
Thirteen student members were awarded Richard E. Merwin Scholarships in February 2013. Recipients from among the fall 2012 applicants represent 13 different universities in Australia, China, Colombia, Croatia, India, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and the US:
• Pavin Prasad Abraham, Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, India
• Deepak Gargm, University of Western Australia
• Gunturu Mahati, Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Dubai, UAE
• William Rawlins Martin, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA
• Ananthatejas Raghava, National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK), Surathkal, India
• Rahul Raveendranath, College of Engineering, Trivandrum, India
• Goce Ristanoski, University of Melbourne, Australia
• Damir Senic, University of Split, Croatia
• Madhuri Shanbhogue, NITK, Surathkal, India
• Karthik Siddavaram, Vignana Bharathi Institute of Technology, India
• Yao Xiu Hu, Sun Yat-Sen University, China
• Fabian Camilo Pena Lozano, Universidad Distrital Francisco José de Caldas, Bogotá, Colombia
• Carlos Andres Lozano, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
The scholarships recognize active student volunteer leaders who show promise in their academic and professional efforts.
Criteria for spring 2013 applicants
The next Merwin award application deadline is 30 April. Graduate students and those in the final two years of an undergraduate program in electrical or computer engineering, computer science, or a well-defined computer-related field of engineering who are active members of a student branch or chapter are eligible. IEEE Computer Society membership is required.
Applicants must have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 out of 4.0 and be full-time students as defined by their academic institution during the course of the award.
Evaluation criteria include involvement in chapter or branch activities (40 percent), academic achievement (30 percent), other extracurricular activities in college (10 percent), and a letter of evaluation by branch or chapter advisor (20 percent). Each winner will submit a brief statement at the end of the academic year outlining his or her accomplishments.
To apply for a Richard E. Merwin Memorial Scholarship, visit www.computer.org/portal/web/studentactivities/merwin or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations Sought for Eckert-Mauchly Award
Nominations are being accepted for the Eckert-Mauchly Award, which recognizes high-impact achievements in computer and digital systems architecture.
Cosponsored by ACM and the IEEE Computer Society since 1979, it is known as the computer architecture community's most prestigious award. The nomination deadline is 30 March.
The award was named for John Presper Eckert and John William Mauchly, who collaborated on the design and construction of the ENIAC, the pioneering large-scale electronic computing machine that was completed in 1947.
The award comes with a US$5,000 prize and will be presented at the 40th International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), which will be held 23-27 June in Tel Aviv, Israel. To register, visit http://isca2013.eew.technion.ac.il.
Previous Eckery-Mauchly recipients include Algirdas Avizienis, Gurindar (Guri) S. Sohi, William J. Dally, Joel S. Emer, David A. Patterson, Mateo Valero, and others.
To make a nomination or see the full list of recipients, visit www.computer.org/portal/web/awards/eckert.
Techleader Training Partner Program will Help Corporations Meet Employee Training Needs
The IEEE Computer Society has introduced a comprehensive corporate training program that gives companies the resources they need to provide employees with cost-effective technical training.
Featuring either standard or customized packages of training resources, the TechLeader Training Partner Program includes
• TechLeader OnLine—online courses, videos, certifications, books, and mentoring organized into 16 KnowledgeCenters on cutting-edge technical and professional topics such as IT Security, Java, Cisco, Visual Basic, C#, and Management;
• TechLeader OnDemand—webinars customized to company needs, featuring experts from the Computer Society or [What kind of companies?] companies for in-depth learning;
• TechLeader OnSite—customized training courses at a corporate location featuring a roster of IEEE Computer Society industry experts; and
• TechLeader Events—IEEE Computer Society expertise to develop customer-facing product announcement events.
"The TechLeader Training Partner Program lets companies design custom programs to meet their objectives and strategic goals and ensure that technical employees remain up to date on current technologies," said Chris Ruoff, IEEE Computer Society Senior Manager of Global Sales and Channel Development. "It guarantees that training goals are met while remaining within budget and provides a reasonable alternative to the high cost of employee training."
Companies can choose a program that meets their needs. Programs include a digital subscription to Computer magazine as well as one other Computer Society magazine of the company's choice. A dedicated Web portal, monthly newsletter, and discounts on IEEE Computer Society products and services are also available as options.
For more information on the TechLeader Training Partner Program, visit www.computer.org/portal/web/trainingpartners/home or email email@example.com.