• During the first NASA space missions, the astronauts used pencils.
• In 1965, NASA ordered 34 pencils from Tycam Engineering Manufacturing at $128.80 per unit.
• Paul C. Fisher developed the Fisher Space Pen and offered it to NASA.
• Mr. Fisher developed the pen without NASA funding.
• NASA purchased approximately 400 pens from Fisher in 1967 at $6 per unit for Project Apollo.
• The Soviet Union also purchased 100 of the Fisher pens.
• Both American astronauts and Soviet/Russian cosmonauts have continued to use these pens.