• The promised benefits of outsourced security are so attractive. The potential to significantly increase network security without hiring half a dozen people or spending a fortune is impossible to ignore.
• The potential risks of outsourcing are considerable. Stories of managed security companies going out of business, and bad experiences with outsourcing other areas of IT, show that selecting the wrong outsourcer can be a costly mistake.
• Consulting companies (such as VeriSign, @Stake, Foundstone) provide expert advice and assistance: strategic security consulting, penetration testing, forensics, and so forth.
• Security Value-Added Resellers (VARs) provide product installation and configuration.
• TruSecure provides certification and expert assistance.
• Qualsys has an automatic vulnerability scanning service.
• Counterpane provides network security monitoring.