This Article 
   
 Share 
   
 Bibliographic References 
   
 Add to: 
 
Digg
Furl
Spurl
Blink
Simpy
Google
Del.icio.us
Y!MyWeb
 
 Search 
   
May 1977 (vol. 10 no. 5)
pp. 56-67
The use of microprocessors in the biological laboratory is a logical result of the evolution of computer use in the biomedical sciences. In 1963, H. K. Hartline and Floyd Ratliff, working at Rockefeller University in New York City, hooked up a CDC 160A computer as a generalpurpose laboratory instrument for data acquisition during their experiments on vision.1For stimulus control, they used a digital programmer constructed from commercially available discrete transistor logic circuits.2The work in the Hartline-Ratliff laboratory was a continuation of earlier work done by Hartline on inhibitory interaction in the horseshoe crab's eye, for which Hartline shared the Nobel Prize for Physiology and Medicine in 1966, with Wald and Granit.3
Citation:
R.L. Schoenfeld, W.A. Kocsis, N. Milkman, G. Silverman, "Microsystems the Microprocessor in the Biological Laboratory," Computer, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 56-67, May 1977, doi:10.1109/MC.1977.315874
Usage of this product signifies your acceptance of the Terms of Use.