• content classification,
• domain-specific metadata,
• domain-specific phrasing of search terms,
• automated markup,
• content-based retrieval,
• search by similarity and similarity measures,
• abstracting (what's analogous in 3D to a thumbnail in 2D),
• semantic enrichment,
• avoiding the loss of model semantics in the classical graphics process pipelines,
• transport (for example, over channels with limited bandwidth),
• semantic level of detail,
• interaction with 3D documents,
• navigation in (distributed) 3D documents,
• linking in 3D documents (that is, where and how to attach links), and
• long-term storage.
Dieter W. Fellner is the director of Fraunhofer IGD in Darmstadt, Germany, and a professor of computer science at the University of Technology in Darmstadt with a joint affiliation with Graz University of Technology, Austria. His research interests include computer graphics, modeling, immersive systems, and multimedia systems with a focus on the general concept of electronic documents and digital libraries, where he has coordinated a strategic research initiative funded by the German Research Foundation. He has an MS and a PhD from Graz University of Technology. He is a member of the ACM, Eurographics, Gesellschaft für Informatik, and IEEE, and is on the editorial board of IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dietmar Saupe is a professor of computer science at the University of Konstanz. He has a Dr.rer.nat. and the Habilitation in Mathematics from the University Bremen. His research interests started in numerics, fractals, and dynamical systems, when he coauthored The Science of Fractal Images (1988, Springer) and Chaos and Fractals (1992, Springer), then extended to computer graphics, image processing, and multimedia signal processing. He is a member of Eurographics, Gesellschaft für Informatik, and Deutsche Mathematiker-Vereinigung. Contact him at email@example.com.
Harald Krottmaier is project coordinator of PROBADO, a framework for accessing nontraditional documents, founded by the German Research Foundation. His research interests are in the field of digital libraries. He has a PhD (Dr.Eng.Sc) from Graz University of Technology, Austria. He a was member of the DELOS Network of Excellence on DL. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.