Thomas Haigh, "Biographies", IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, vol.25, no. 2, pp. 86-92, April-June 2003, doi:10.1109/MAHC.2003.1203065
1. Meccano is a popular European toy engineering construction set based on interlocking metal girders, rods, gears, motors and other miniature parts. American readers may be more familiar with the equivalent Erector system, which supplanted Meccano in the US market in the 1920s.
2. D. Hartree and A. Porter, "Construction of a Model Differential Analyzer," Memoirs and Proc. Manchester Literary and Philosophical Soc., vol. 79, 1935, p. 51.
3. A. Porter, "An Approximate Determination of the Atomic Wave Functions of Chromium," Memoirs and Proc. Manchester Literary and Philosophical Soc., vol. 79, 1935.
4. There is little doubt that our work made an important contribution to chemical process controls, as witnessed in the publication of two papers: A. Callender, D. Hartree, and A. Porter "Time-Lag in a Control System," Philosophical Trans. Royal Soc. of London, vol. 235, no. 756, 1936 and D. Hartree et al. "Time-Lag in a Control System II,"Proc. Royal Society of London,Series A, vol. 161, no. 907, Aug. 1937, pp. 460-476. It is gratifying to note that these papers were included as two of the 21 landmark papers selected for inclusion in the volumeAutomatic Control—Classic Linear Theory,G. Thaler, ed., Dowden, Hutchison, and Ross, 1974.
5. The results obtained on the output table were quite dramatic as shown in D. Hartree and A. Porter, "The Application of the Differential Analyzer to Transients on a Distortionless Transmission Line," J. Inst. Electrical Engineers, vol. 83, no. 503, Nov. 1938. The paper shows machine solutions for line conditions and arrester characteristics.
6. A.K. Nuttall, D. Hartree, and A. Porter, "The Response of a Non-Linear Electric Circuit to an Impulse," Proc. Cambridge Philosophical Soc ., vol. 22, part 2, May 1936.
7. D.M. Myers, D. Hartree, and A. Porter, "The Secondary Current in a Triode," Proc. Royal Soc. of London, Series A, vol. 158, no. 893, Jan. 1937, pp. 23-37.
8. C. Copple et al., "The Evaluation of Transient Temperature Distributions in a Dielectric in an Alternating Field," J. Inst. Electrical Engineers, vol. 85, no. 511, July 1939.
9. Of the 20 doctoral candidates presented, I was the only one escorted to the chancellor.